Among the Reasons God May Temporarily Be Unavailable to Bless
by Peter Laarman
It does not seem to occur to our suddenly devout nation that the
universal prayer for blessing appearing on lawn signs, bumper
stickers and shop windows might be theologically offensive, and
offensive not just to thoughtful believers but to the One who is
being addressed. Herewith, then, some reasons why God may not choose
to grant America's petition…
Because such a tasteless and lurid efflorescence of red, white, and
blue (including flags wrapped around church steeples) gives God a
- Because, in times of stress, this prayer too often means
"God Bless White America."
- Because the world is not our oyster.
- Because U.S.-sponsored terror has killed too many children
in Iraq, Angola, Cambodia, Nicaragua, Cuba, ________, _______,
________ (fill in the blanks).
- Because God has been taking an immersion refresher course in
- Because God has had it up to here with the assumption that
prayers for national exemption from pain and tragedy deserve an
- Because God is too busy processing Americans' prayers for
their high school football teams.
- Because God expects nations that enjoy extraordinary
prosperity to be rather more generous with respect to
international development needs than the U.S. has been.
- Because Heaven recently laid off its switchboard operators
and went to an automated answering system requiring callers to
enter a 15-digit code for "God Bless America".
- Because God takes it for granted that the bombs falling on
Kabul are America's real prayers.
Originally posted at http://www.judson.org/wtc/laarman.htm, 2002
Lippman's Home Page